Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is considered to be commercial use of a horse?
A: Any equine activity where you generate an income. This could include horses used on trail rides for the public (rental), sleigh rides for the public, pack trips for the public and horses used for commercial riding instruction.

Q: I sometimes provide riding lessons to others but I don't get paid very much for this activity. Am I insured for this?
A: No. If you provide any instruction or horse training for compensation, then you need a separate Coach/Instructor's policy –

Q: I lease out my horse for part of the year. I am paid for the expenses of keeping the horse plus a small extra monthly amount, how does the insurance program deal with this situation?
A: If you receive any value in excess of your actual expenses it is considered commercial use and your policy will not respond.

Q: I own a horse that I let a friend ride. I don't ask for money and I am not paid for this, it is simply a favor? Does this create any problems with the coverage?
A: No, provided your friend is an experienced rider or is an equine professional.

Q: What value is this program if I have home insurance with liability coverage extended to my horses?
A: Your home insurance may be very limited. Many companies restrict coverage to your premises and do not cover riding activities off premises or at shows. Most also charge an additional premium, usually $25- $75 per horse. Our policy provides $5,000,000. Liability coverage on ALL of your horses and with no premises restriction. Coverage is Worldwide.

Q: Does the Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) cover short-term disability or loss of income?
A: No, only permanent disability, and it does not cover wages lost because you miss work. The amount payable is dependent on the injury sustained.

Q: Are there any deductibles on the liability or transportation coverage's?
A: Yes - a $1,000. Deductible applies, but only on claims for damage to Property belonging to others.

Q: I sometimes trailer horses for friends who reimburse me with cash for fuel expenses or buy me dinner. How does the insurance respond to this aspect of trailering and taking compensation?
A: There is no problem in the case described, as this situation does not represent an activity for profit.

Q: Does the transportation coverage with my policy cover my horse if it dies during transportation?
A: No. The insurance protects you for your legal responsibility in the death of someone else's horse (not your own horse) and the coverage is limited per horse and per accident.

Q: Who determines the value of a horse after an accident while trailering and how much will be paid?
A: The actual amount paid is established by an insurance adjuster using all available information from you and from the equine industry at large concerning acceptable practices in establishing the value of a horse. ($10,000. per horse, and $50,000. per accident are the maximums paid under the transportation section)

Q: I sometimes ride/ compete out of province. Does this coverage follow me?
A: Yes. If your principal residence is in Canada, this insurance is worldwide coverage.

Q: I board my horse at a friend's place. If she is hurt while riding my horse, is she covered? Am I covered?
A: Yes, assuming that your friend is an experienced rider or works in the equine industry.

Q: I board my horse. Does the insurance policy cover the owner or manager of the boarding facility?
A: No. They must arrange their own coverage for their boarding operation and any other liability exposures on their own premises.

Q: Does this insurance program cover my horse if it is injured or dies?
A: Yes and No (depending on the options purchased). The liability insurance covers "you" if your horse causes injury or damage to another person / thing which results in a lawsuit. If you also purchased the optional horse mortality coverage then you would have actual insurance covering against loss caused by death of your own horse.